<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <!-- data-ad-client=pub-1707250695174359 --> </head><body>
0 comments | Saturday, November 25, 2006

I read the November 14th Bradford Era, and saw a photo of a 16 year old boy that is on the cheerleading squad.

The former freshman football player has been the School Mascot, and wanted to be able to recieve a varsity letter for his work in the sport. The Cheerleading coach said that in order for that to happen, Josh Roberts has to be a part of the cheerleading squad, attend practices, and well... cheer...

I can't imagine the flack this kid gets. I don't know him personally, but I know that as a former "band geek" myself, that peers can be harsh.

I also know that the male cheerleaders I met in college were anything but weak, and I wouldn't want to upset them, because they could snap me in half. Anyone who can lift up thirteen girls in a pyramid, or throw a two hundred pound (yes, sometimes, girl cheerleaders get that big) 15 year old 20 feet in the air deserves some kudos.

It takes a lot of guts to break the traditional gender barrier in this area. While I would not have wanted to be a cheerleader (ten years ago, it would have cost me a few more black eyes), I applaud Roberts for his move.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home